Ammonium bisulfite (NH4HSO3, CAS #:10192-30-0), typically used in water solution, is a clear to pale yellow liquid with sulfur dioxide odor. Its most common use in the oil/gas industry is as an oxygen scavenger in seawater flood. It can release sulfur dioxide when mixed with acid or subjected to heat and generate ammonium when mixed with alkalies.
- pH: 4.5-5.5
- Specific gravity: 1.3-1.4
- Odor: sulfur dioxide
- Appearance: Clear to pale yellow liquid
Potential health hazards
- Contact with the eyes by product mist or solution will cause irritation and a burning sensation.
- Prolonged or repeated contact with product mist or solution will cause skin irritation.
- Ingestion of product solution will cause irritation of the gastrointestinal tract to include nausea,vomiting and diarrhea.
- Inhalation of product vapors (slight amount of sulfur dioxide) will cause nose, throat and lung irritation.
Incompatible with strong oxidizers such as nitrates, nitrites or chlorates. Acids will cause the release of sulfur dioxide, a highly toxic gas. Alkalies will accelerate the evolution of ammonia. Ammonium bisulfite is not compatible with copper, zinc or their alloys (i.e. bronze, brass, galvanized metals, etc.). These materials of construction should not be used in handling systems or storage containers for this product.
316-L Stainless Steel, Polyethylene and Fiberglass can be safely used for storage.
Handling and storage
- Handling: Handle in enclosed containers to avoid breathing product. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Use in a well ventilated area. Wash thoroughly after handling.
- Storage:Store in well ventilated areas in enclosed containers. Do not store combustibles in the area of storage vessels. Keep away from any sources of heat or flame which may cause rapid thermal decomposition resulting in rapid heat and pressure release. Avoid heating of ABS above 75°F (24°C), in closed storage vessels. Provide for venting of closed pressure vessels. Store tote and smaller containers out of direct sunlight at moderate temperatures [75°F (24°C)]. Keep away from acids and oxidizers.