Mineral collecting is the hobby of systematically collecting, identifying and displaying mineral specimens. Mineral collecting can also be a part of the profession of mineralogy and allied geologic specialties.
Mineral collectors find a variety of reasons to collect minerals. Many minerals are strikingly beautiful and collected for their aesthetic value. Others collect to learn more about mineralogy, the local mining industry and/or local geology. Some simply enjoy exploring the outdoors and socializing and trading with other mineral collectors.
Notable public mineral collections
- Geological Museum, Mineral Collection, London
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Gem and Mineral Collection, Washington, D.C.
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Hall of Gems and Minerals
- Houston Museum of Natural Science, Cullen Hall of Gems and Minerals, Houston
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Hillman Hall of Minerals and Gems, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Australian Museum, Albert Chapman Mineral Collection, Sydney
- Musée de Minéralogie, École nationale supérieure des mines de Paris, Paris
Notable mineral collectors
- Andrew Ketcham Barnett (1852–1914), principal, Penzance School of Mines
- Walter Frederick Ferrier (1865–1950), Canadian geologist and mining engineer
- George Frederick Kunz (1856–1932), gentleman scientist, VP of Tiffany & Co., "special agent" for the US Geological Survey (1883–1909)
- Abraham Gottlob Werner (1749–1817), pioneering German geologist
- Fossil collecting
- Lapidary club
- Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, the world's largest.
- Mineralientage, the Munich Mineral Show, Europe's largest.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Mineralogy|
- Getting Started in Rock and Mineral Collecting, a brief introduction.
- Beginning Guide to Mineral Collecting at mindat.org
- Tips for collecting minerals in the field, by the Mineralogical Society of America.
- Collector's Corner, at MSA
- The American Federation of Mineral Societies, with links to regional and local clubs in the USA.ca:Col·lecció de minerals