Paraffin inhibitors are used to protect the wellbore, production tree, and subsea pipelines/flowlines from plugging. The injection of these chemical inhibitors is dependent on the composition of the produced fluids. Injection can occur continuously at the tree, pipeline, manifold, and other critical areas while the production flow is hot, and to batch treatments at production start-up and shut-down processes. The wax content, pour point, and other factors are determined prior to beginning production to determine the chemical(s) needed, if any, and the best method for treatment. For a 10,000- BOPD (Barrels of Oil Per Day) well, the paraffin inhibitor could be injected at a rate of 30,000 gal per year (enough to ensure a 200-ppm concentration in the produced fluid flow).
- C. Haver, Industry and Government Model for Ultra-Deepwater Technology Development, OTC 2008, Topical Luncheon Speech, Houston, 2008.
- C.W. Burleson, Deep Challenge: The True Epic Story or Our Quest for Energy Beneath the Sea, Gulf Publishing Company, Houston, Texas, 1999.
- M. Golan, S. Sangesland, Subsea Production Technology, vol. 1, NTNU (The Norwegian University of Science and Technology), 1992.
- Minerals Management Service, Deepwater Gulf of Mexico 2006: America’s Expanding Frontier, OCS Report, MMS 2006-022, 2006.
- J. Westwood, Deepwater Markets and Game-Changer Technologies, presented at U.S. Department of Transportation 2003, Conference, 2003.
- FMC Corporation, Subsea System, http://www.fmctechnologies.com/en/SubseaSystems.aspx, 2010.
- H.J. Bjerke, Subsea Challenges in Ice-Infested Waters, USA-Norway Arctic Petroleum Technology Workshop, 2009.
- International Standards Organization, Petroleum and Natural Gas Industries-Design and Operation of the Subsea Production Systems, Part 1: General Requirements and Recommendations, ISO, 2005, 13628-1.
- International Standards Organization, Petroleum and Natural Gas Industries-Design and Operation of the Subsea Production Systems, Part 6: Subsea Production Control Systems, ISO, 2000, 13628-6.
- M. Faulk, FMC ManTIS (Manifolds & Tie-in Systems), SUT Subsea Awareness Course, Houston, 2008.
- C. Horn, Flowline Tie-in Presentation, SUT Subsea Seminar, 2008.
- S. Fenton, Subsea Production System Overview, Vetco Gray, Clarion Technical Conferences, Houston, 2008.
- P. Collins, Subsea Production Control and Umbilicals, SUT, Subsea Awareness Course, Houston, 2008.