Shallow-water vs deepwater
- Because diver-assisted intervention is possible, an ROV–related structure is not necessary.
- Mudline trees will usually be used.
- Limited by the size of vessel.
- More difficult than in shallow water due to higher tension, especially horizontal load.
- Smaller umbilicals can be utilized due to the short distance of power transportation.
- Umbilicals are bigger and more expensive.
- Diver-assisted intervention is feasible.
- Deepwater maintenance and repairs require the use of ROVs for surveys and some repairs.
- Deepwater subsea developments are high cost and high risk.